The following are some of the most frequently asked questions about the Annual SMA Conference. If you have additional questions, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org
What does my conference registration fee include?
- Your registration fee includes all conference festivities, including the Meet & Greet, Researcher Relay Race, Family Friendly Researcher Poster Session, Children’s Program, some meals, general sessions, conference workshops, conference materials, and a Cure SMA Evening at the Park. At registration, you will receive your conference folder, conference booklet, your conference name tag, as well as a waterproof attendee wristband. This wristband must be worn from Thursday through Sunday and will be your entry ticket to all conference events.
What is the discounted room rate at Disney World's Yacht and Beach Club Resorts?
- More details will follow, once registration is open.
How do I book an accessible room at the hotel?
- More details will follow on how to request an accessible room through Cure SMA.
- By requesting an accessible room through the request form, it is not guaranteed that you will receive an accessible room, it is simply a request. All accessible rooms are held by Cure SMA and will be assigned based on the number of requests and needs of the individual. Unfortunately, we will not have enough accessible rooms to accommodate all our requests.
Are any meals included with my conference registration?
- There will be several meals included in your registration fee for all attendees of the Annual SMA Conference. More information on these meals will be announced at a later date.
Is there a pool at the hotel?
- Yes – Disney World's Yacht and Beach Resorts both have many pools to choose from; 3 lesiure pools, 3 whirlpools and Stormalong Bay that includes 3 acres of aquatic fun. You will find slides, a sandy bottom pool and lazy river, just to name a few!
Do I have to go to all the events and workshops?
- No, you are not required to attend events or workshops during the conference, but we do encourage conference attendees to attend as many as possible.
Will there be workshops for adults with SMA?
- Yes, there will be several workshops for adults attending who have SMA.
Do I have to pay for my children to attend the conference?
- Yes, there is a fee per child to register children for the conference. This fee helps cover the cost of the conference events, meals and the Children’s Program. Only registered attendees can attend any conference event. Please note: Individuals under the age of 17 must be registered to attend the Annual SMA Conference with an adult or their registration and reservation will be cancelled and refunded.
Does an individual affected with SMA have to pay a registration fee?
- Yes, individuals with SMA who attend our conference are required to pay the same registration fee as other conference attendees. Only registered attendees can attend any conference event.
Do kids attend the workshops with parents? If not, what is there for them to do during the day?
- No, children do not attend workshops with parents unless a child requires medical assistance which prevents them from being left in the Children’s Program alone. We offer a Children’s Program during workshop hours for registered attendees so that children have a place to hang out and play while parents attend workshops throughout the day. There are two different Children’s Program rooms that have volunteers at the conference; one is for children under the age of 3 and the other is for children over the age of 3.
What is the Children's Program and is my child eligible to attend?
- We offer a children’s program during workshop hours for registered attendees so that children have a place to hang out and play while parents attend workshops throughout the day. There are two different children’s program rooms that have volunteers at conference, one is for children under the age of 3 and the other is for children over the age of 3.
The children’s program is run by volunteers who are not responsible for any medical care, medicine disbursement, bathroom assistance, feeding responsibilities or wheelchair/stander transfers. Parents or their medical caretakers will be notified via cell phone or text message to assume those responsibilities. Any child who requires any breathing support, cough assist, or suction cannot be left in the children’s program without a nurse or caretaker.
Do I need to pre-register for workshops?
- No, pre-registration for workshops is not required.
Is parking included in the hotel room rate or is parking additional?
- More details will follow.
Are refunds provided for registration if we later decide we cannot attend?
- More details to follow.
What is the Pre-Registration form for the Children’s Program?
- In hopes of cutting down the wait times to register your child for the Children’s Program, we will be launching an online registration form which will allow you to fill out the information necessary to pre-register your child. Upon arrival to the Children's Program check-in, you will be given a form to sign that is already filled out with your child's information to ensure a smooth and timely check-in.
Should I Pre-Register my child for the Children’s Program?
- We encourage families to pre-register their children for the Children’s Program even if they are unsure whether or not they will be leaving their child in the Children’s Program during workshops. This will ensure that check-in will go quickly and smoothly.
Do you have scholarships available to attend the Annual SMA Conference?
- Yes, we have a First Time Attendee Scholarship Program as well as Adults with SMA Scholarships and General Conference Scholarships available to help individuals with SMA and families attend the upcoming Annual SMA Conference.
- The First Time Attendee Scholarship Program, this scholarship covers any individual with SMA who has never attended the Annual SMA Conference previously, and their immediate family (note: a limit on immediate family members). The scholarship covers registration fees for those attendees, as well as 1 hotel for 3 nights at the specified conference hotel venue. Thank you to the support from the Luke 18:1 Foundation for sponsorship of this scholarship.
- The Adults with SMA Sponsorship, this scholarship covers registration fees for 1 adult with SMA & 1 attendant/aide, as well as a set travel stipend for the 2 attendees and 1 hotel room for 3 nights at the specified conference hotel venue.
- General Scholarship – This scholarship covers registration fees for attendees. It is aimed at anyone in the SMA community seeking assistance to attend the conference.
How do I apply for a scholarship to attend the Annual SMA Conference?
- To apply and submit a conference scholarship application, please email email@example.com
How can I purchase discounted Disney Park tickets?
- The discounted Disney Park tickets offered for attendees registered for our meeting will be available for purchase at a later date. Once the online store has opened up, all registered attendees will receive and email to purchase these tickets. These specially priced theme park tickets will not be available for purchase on-site at the resort.
- Closer to the date of the conference, we will confirm specific masking and vaccination requirements per local, state, federal and Disney rules and regulations
- More details to follow!